Ideas for Using Inexpensive Single Output Communication Buttons
So, you've bought one or more single output communication buttons. Here's some ideas on how to use them!
- Record the Happy Birthday Song so the user can sing to someone on their special day.
- Place 2 buttons on the fridge. On one, put a picture that represents drinking, on the other put a picture that represents eating.
- Record a portion of your morning circle time routine. Let the user press the switch to say their part in the morning routine.
- Add pictures that represent the steps for an activity. Record the instructions for that step on each of the buttons.
- Record a count down "3-2-1!" so the switch user can count down an event such as letting a balloon go, or sending up a toy rocket.
- Give the user only a small portion of their snack, Record "I want more" on their button and let them user ask for more snack.
- In the morning, record something special for your child to tell their teacher. Have the teacher record a message at the end of the day. Let the student push the button to share the messages.
- Pick a book with a repeating phrase. Record the phrase and let the child press their button to read the phrase when it comes up in the book.
- Record "Read the next page" so they can tell you when they are ready to have you read more of a story.
- Record a line from the school play so the child can have their turn at saying their line on stage.
- Pick a movie, then record "I would like a ticket to ______". Let the user press their switch at the box office to buy their own ticket.
- Decide food and drink choices before the waiter comes to take your order. Record the choices on the communication button so the user can order their own meal.
- Record a prayer for bedtime or dinnertime recitation.
- Record "It's my turn", "It's your turn", "No cheating" for use during game play.
- Record "Do you have anything for me to take to the office?" so the user can go around to the classrooms and retrieve items to take to the school office.
- Record "Do you have any shredding?" so the user can collect documents to shred from co-workers.
- Add a button by the toilet that says "I'm finished."
- Record "I need help". Use it in a variety of situations to reduce frustration.
- Record "I want some attention" so the user can press their switch to ask for attention (instead of screaming!)
- Record "Yummy" on one button and "Yucky" on another before trying a new food or drink.
- Record "I want something different". Use it to ask for different tv shows, different music, a different toy,...
Have some ideas of your own? Share with us and we'll at it to this list!